Indulge in Sweet Delight with Homemade Saffron Pudding Recipe
- 1 cup rice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 7 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- ¼ cup oil or unsalted butter
- ½ cup raw American pistachio kernels
- ½ teaspoon ground saffron dissolved in 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- ½ cup rose water
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons slivered almonds
- ¼ cup candied orange peel, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped pistachios
- Clean and wash the rice, changing the water several times.
- In a large pot, combine the rice and salt with 7 cups of water, and bring to a boil, skimming the foam as it rises.
- Cover and simmer for 35 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the rice is quite soft.
- Add the sugar, stirring constantly with a long, wooden spoon for 5 minutes until the sugar has dissolved. A
- dd the oil, pistachios, saffron water, cardamom, and rose water. Stir well. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 50 to 60 minutes or until you have thick, smooth pudding.
- Remove from heat and immediately spoon the pudding into individual serving bowls or a large bowl.
- Decorate right away (before the pudding has cooled) with cinnamon, almonds, orange peel, and pistachios.
- Allow to cool at room temperature, then chill in the refrigerator.
- Serve the pudding chilled
By Najmieh Batmanglij